Moss House Open Garden – Autumn 2017
International Permaculture Day, Sunday, May 7th, 10 am-4 pm, Denistone
Come for an opportunity to visit this award-winning food garden which featured twice in the ABC Gardening Australia show in 2016.
The garden was designed with the primary goal to provide the owners with food, medicinal and fiber-producing plants.
Visitors will get to see a large suburban food garden with features such as eleven raised vegetable beds (seven of which are self-watering), large composting bays and worm farms, a chicken forest, native stingless bees beehives, insectary gardens, a habitat pond and more.
The garden contains edible and medicinal herbs, a wide variety of annual vegetables grown using crop rotation system, around 30 fruit trees planted along water-holding swales together with perennial vegetables; a banana circle and native plant habitats. The produce is either eaten fresh or preserved in various ways for storage and pickles, chutneys, dried herbs and fermented foods fill the pantry.
Talks and garden tours
The day will be packed with interesting activities, including mini-workshops and talks (see the list below), permaculture information stall, display of products made from the produce grown in the garden, plant sale and a Crop Swap table. Guided and self-guided tours throughout the garden will answer any technical questions visitors may have about urban food growing and permaculture.
While there, you can also talk to experienced gardeners from Permaculture Sydney North who will be available at a permaculture stall; swap your garden produce at the Crop Swap Sydney table; go for a wild food foraging walk with Diego Bonetto (bookings essential); learn about keeping native stingless bees from Dan Smailes; buy seedlings and cuttings of useful plants. Or you could just leisurely stroll through the garden, enjoy life music, take photos and have a cuppa.
The address is available on the International Permaculture Day website
- 10:00 – GARDEN OPENS
- 10:00-11:00 – Crop Swap Sydney
- 10:30-11:00 – guided garden tour
- 11:00-12:30 – “The Wonderful World of Weeds” – a wild food foraging walk with Diego Bonetto (bookings essential)
- 11:30-12:00 – “Wild Fermenting” – a talk & demo about natural food fermenting methoods
- 12:00-2:00 – native stingless bees talk, open hive viewing and wild honey tasting by Dan Smailes from Sydney Native Bees
- 12:30-1:00 – guided garden tour
- 1:00-2:30 – “The Wonderful World of Weeds” – a wild food foraging walk with Diego Bonetto (bookings essential)
- 2:30-3:00 – guided garden tour
- 3:30-4:00 – guided garden tour
- 4:00 – GARDEN CLOSES